Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kickin' the Cubicle

My feet and I welcome you to the view from our balcony at work. We like to hang out here during the couple hours of sun on most days and, in doing so, willingly attack any advocate of working in a cubicle. This may be the first and last time I will ever have such a gorgeous work backdrop...and I plan on exploiting it. At Mercado Global, most of my work involves my computer (a special thanks Microsoft Word, Excel, and the Internet for their contributions to my assignments). That being said, I’m not stuck at a computer all day either. If you ask me about a typical day here, I won’t have a definite answer. Sometimes I’m measuring bags I wish could be sported on my own shoulders, sometimes I’m organizing scarves and disturbing the dust that has comfortably settled itself on shelves, sometimes I’m labeling and detailing pillows, other times I’m wearing a piece I pretend to own for a couple of hours. Either way, I work at my own time and pace. 

I like that my days here are unexpected. It puts my reliance on a schedule and cramped writing somewhere at the bottom of a chaotic box that I don’t care to organize. Yes, I have embraced Guatemalan time. Every country I visit seems to have its own. So far, I like the pace of the time in the US the least—a fact I doubt is revolutionary to anyone these days. While working at an NGO may not be the most organized or efficient of jobs, I have come to really appreciate my time here and find myself learning a lot every day. I think it’s safe to say I will never work in a cubicle from here on out.