Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Surrender


I feel you in the wind. It licks my face and I hear your laughter. I feel your mischief. Unpredictable. Invisible.  Exhilerating. You play with me. You dance with me. I can’t help but open my arms sometimes, trying to fly, trying to surrender.

I feel you in the sky. Light or dark, I feel so small against it. I feel your peace. Enormous. Expansive. Mysterious. You shine on me. You smile on me. I can’t help but open my arms out sometimes, trying to embrace it all, trying to surrender.

I feel you in the light. It caresses my skin and reveals the world anew. I feel your vigor, your energy. Illuminating. Nurturing. Alive. You carry me. You reach out to me. I can’t help but open my arms sometimes, trying to reach back, trying to surrender.

Why do you care? Why do you surround me, fill me, move me with love? Why did you carefully craft my heartbeat, paint my cheeks with dots from your finger, breathe life into my swaying limbs? Why did you tenderly form the jagged leaves, fill the scattered blades of grass with light, kiss the edge of the world with the sunset? Why did you color us with the clay, destine us for greatness, give us everything we needed and more? 

Why do we turn away?

Your love shines all around us. In the wind, the sky, the light. In the faces of those we encounter, in the art of those who create, in the work of those who serve, in the majesty of the human condition—when we share, when we sacrifice, when we forgive.

You are in our deepest desires, our wildest dreams, our hearts. You are the reason we open them so wide sometimes, sharing our desires and dreams and hearts with others. Sharing ourselves.

You are the reason we encounter, create and serve—the reason we share, sacrifice, and forgive. You are the reason we breathe and live and move. The reason we give of ourselves. You are the reason we love.

Help us to feel you. Help us to see you. Help us to give you these wild dreams and desires, to trust, to forgive, to love, to heal. Help us to surrender.

Because when we surrender, we fly. When we surrender, we embrace all. When we surrender, we reach back.

I feel you in the wind, the sky, the light.